Looking for an ethically made, bespoke engagement ring or wedding band? And not quite sure where to start? We fully understand how daunting it can be, and here is a little insight into our process on getting started.
1. Starting with your story.
We always kick start our process with a short question on how you would describe your partner in 3 words, or how you would best sum your story and relationship in 3 words. That always helps to frame the design process and navigate the different ring options which could help represent what you hold dear.
2. What is the function for this ring? Is it an engagement ring or a wedding band?
Usually engagement rings tend to have a larger focal gemstone, and worn to be stacked with a slimmer wedding band. That being said, there are no strict rules when it comes to this, and we have had many who have opted for a slim diamond band as an engagement ring; or a wedding band that is more sparkly.
3. For engagement rings: what gemstone does she like?
Central to engagement rings is the focal stone which would help to tie in the rest of the design of the ring.
We would start with two main questions:
1) Diamond or coloured gemstone? And if the latter, what colour or particular gemstone does she like? Colours are represented in many different types of gemstones, for example, for red gemstones: ruby or garnet (it’s less expensive but has equally beautiful colour and tone); for blue: sapphire, aquamarine, or tourmaline. There are various choices available depending on the tone that you like, and your budget.
2) What shape does she like? For more rounded and classic shapes, there is the round cut or oval for an elongated profile, or a cushion cut for a squarish cut with rounded edges. If she prefers more edgy and clean lines, she might prefer a more geometrical cut like the asscher, princess, or an elongated rectangular asscher, or a radiant cut.
4. Is there a design in mind?
We regularly post our past custom work on our Instagram handle at @covenantjewellery. For engagement rings, if there is something that you think she might like there, feel free to send those photos along to us when you do get in touch with us. Also, if she has a Pinterest board of rings that she likes, that is always helpful for us to help to narrow down some options for you!
For wedding bands, if you have certain elements that you like but are not sure how it can be incorporated into a ring. Just let us know and we can develop some options for you.
If you’re drawing a blank at this point, do not worry! The first question that we ask about the story that you hope your ring represents will help us to suggest some design options for you. On top of that, you can send us some photos of her and based on her style and profile, we can work on something that we think might suit her.
5. What is your budget range?
We have ring options to suit various budgets. Gemstones and diamonds vary in price greatly depending on the size, colour and clarity. Some gemstones are a lot rarer than others and harder to find. Determining your budget range will help us to make suitable recommendations for both the design and the gemstone. Not sure how much to spend? Don’t worry. Take a look around at what is available in the market, and have a feel for the prices before you begin. Have a budget range in mind that you are comfortable with!
6. When would you need your ring by?
Our usual lead time is 6-8 weeks depending on the complexity of the design. If it is an existing ring design, we can expedite the order depending on how busy our workshops is. Just let us know and we can get back to you on what is possible!
Drop us a note at our contact page here and we will get back in touch with you shortly!